Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bill & Elaine Van Horn


Some of my earliest memories are of Bill and Elaine. When I first knew them, they were not married. Bill was my dad's childhood friend. He had known him since 3rd grade. Both Bill and Elaine lived in the apartment complex that my folks managed. Elaine shared an apartment with Ellie, who often baby sat me. I had a habit of throwing their cigarettes in the trash can.


Bill and Elaine would eventually get married and were always very special friends of our family. They bought a house in Daly City and later in San Francisco. They raised two children Noel and Tish. My mom and Elaine would become very close. I know they miss each other.

Bill is a cartoon artist and Elaine is a retired nurse. Noel is also a cartoon artist. They did work on Duck Tales and Mickey Mouse. Today they write and draw comic books of Donald Duck under the Disney label for a company based in Denmark.


Sometime in the 1980's, they moved to North Vancouver in British Columbia Canada. I recently was in BC while attending the annual Best Western conference. I took the time to visit Bill and Elaine. They really look the same except for a bit of gray hair, but who am I to talk? It was really wonderful and they could not have been nicer. I got to hear some great stories. It would be great if they and my folks could hook up, but Bill does not fly. The border between the USA and Canada has become a real pain, but still you never know.

I am really glad that I got to visit them. It had been over 25 years since I last saw them. I hope I don't wait that long next time.


No comments: