Saturday, December 11, 2010

Biker Wedding




David Miller was in the same boy scout troop that I was in. Troop 477, the "Eagle Machine". All of our families were close. Dave was several years younger than I was. Our family moved away the day after I graduated high school. At that time, Dave was shorter than I and was a clean cut kid just like his parents.

When we had the Boy Scout reunion, the Miller's were on the road and were unable to attend. It was a case of next time you are down here, let us know. So I did, only to find out that David was getting married on that day. I had dinner plans and had started some lunch plans, so I thought perhaps we could get together for breakfast, but honestly, the day of a wedding is so hectic.

I just let the lunch thing die, but I didn't tell anyone. I decided it would be a surprise. I could not get anyone to go to the wedding with me, but a good friend (Cyndi Riggle) loaned me her car. The wedding was scheduled to start at 1pm, but they were going to wait for David's nephew who had to take the SAT test that morning, so I decided to show up just before 1pm.

As much as I did surprise them, attending a biker wedding was an even bigger surprise to me. You see, David had become a biker. He was now taller than I, with long hair and a long beard. He had taken the nick name of "Bear", which I thought was an excellent choice!


I was old not to wear a suit, so I wore a dark blue polo shirt and blue jeans. The wedding party was dressed in black shirts with their biker club emblems and patches. They wore jeans, chaps, leather vests and knives in some cases. There were a lot of tattoos and some piercings. Despite the picture you might paint in your mind, everyone was happy, polite and respectful.






I was there for the wedding ceremony, photos, dinner and the cutting of the cake. Like all weddings it started late.





I really enjoyed seeing my friends from childhood. David and his parents Eleanor and Charlie. When it was time to go, there were hugs and kisses just like any other wedding, but the most important part .... David is truly in love and is a very happy man.


I wish him and his bride a long and happy life.




No comments: